Formula 1 suffered a financial blow at the start of the 2026 season.
The cancellation of the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian Grands Prix in April – forced by escalating conflict in the region – reduced the calendar from 24 to 22 rounds and is reported to have cost the sport in the region of €100 million.
That figure encompasses lost race fees, freight and logistics costs, and the commercial commitments that could not be honoured.
It could yet grow significantly. Qatar is scheduled for November 29, Abu Dhabi for December 6 – two of the most commercially premium events on the F1 calendar – but the Gulf remains an uncertain destination for events such as grands prix.
Losing either, let alone both, would compound an already damaging financial picture for Liberty Media, although F1 President and Chief Executive Officer Stefano Domenicali has confirmed that a contingency plan is in place.

Whether a race can take place on October 4 – a gap between the Singapore and United States Grands Prix – is understood to be a specific contingency date under consideration, but a decision would need to be taken before F1’s summer break in August.
“As with Covid, we have to try to be as pragmatic as possible,” Domenicali told L’Equipe.
“The fact that we’ve withdrawn the Bahrain and Jeddah races so far stems from the fact that we knew it wasn’t possible to go there at the time.
“Especially since we’re entertainment, a sport that brings joy and pleasure. You have to go to a place where that’s truly the atmosphere. We hope, for Formula 1 but especially for the world, that the situation improves as quickly as possible.”
A ceasefire has been in place since early April but the region remains volatile. With freight logistics and lead times meaning decisions cannot be deferred indefinitely, Domenicali confirmed a deadline is approaching.
“We have a deadline before which we must decide whether the situation will allow us to proceed,” he said.
“We hope so, as you can imagine, for the sake of the bigger picture. But it is our duty, as a global sport, to have an alternative plan ready. And that is what we have.”
A decision on whether either race can proceed is expected before the summer break in August, with October 4 – a gap between the Singapore and United States Grands Prix – understood to be a specific contingency date under consideration, with Domenicali also admitting “logistical complexity” and “costs” will play a part.
The options
Domenicali was candid about the constraints facing any replacement effort.
“Promoters in Qatar and Abu Dhabi are already selling tickets, and sales are going very, very well,” he said.
“But there will come a time when we have to make decisions – it’s not like a football match where there are only two teams, 22 players, and where substitutions are easy.”
On the specific challenge of rescheduling, he was equally direct. “Rescheduling both is impossible,” he said.
I can confirm that we have a contingency plan. And if the two end-of-year races cannot take place because the war is not over, we will have other alternatives.
Stefano Domenicali
“Even rescheduling just one won’t be easy – there aren’t many available slots.”
“I can confirm that we have a contingency plan. And if the two end-of-year races cannot take place because the war is not over, we will have other alternatives.”
On whether Las Vegas – due to take place on November 22 – would become the default season finale if both Gulf rounds fell, Domenicali said:”No, Las Vegas will not be the last race on the calendar. I can confirm that.”
What F1 does have is a shortlist of circuits that have either offered their services or find themselves well placed to step in.
Silverstone staged an additional race during Covid and has indicated a willingness to do so again.
The practical challenge is timing – a later date in northern England raises weather concerns that would not exist in the Gulf, making it a stronger candidate for an autumn slot than a direct end-of-season replacement.
Imola, which lost its place on the 2026 calendar following Madrid’s entry, has made its position clear.
Mayor Marco Panieri publicly stated the circuit would be ready to host a grand prix if the FIA made contact.
Istanbul Park is arguably the most logistically straightforward candidate.
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has already flagged Turkey as a genuine contingency option, and the circuit is confirmed to return to the F1 calendar permanently from 2027.
Its recent hosting track record, accessible geography and established event infrastructure make it a credible short-notice option.
The Saudi and Bahrain question
Domenicali also touched on whether Bahrain and Saudi Arabia could return if conditions improve, with a potential vacancy between the Azerbaijan and Singapore Grands Prix identified as a possible slot.
Sector understands Bahrain would likely be in pole position to secure that slot, should a return to the Gulf prove viable.
However, if the regional situation remains unstable enough to threaten Qatar and Abu Dhabi in November, it is unlikely to have improved sufficiently for Bahrain or Jeddah to be viable in the intervening months.
Whatever circuits ultimately fill any potential gaps, replacing the commercial value of four Middle East rounds in a single season is a problem no contingency plan can fully solve.